But continuous Christmas music is playing in Washington, DC on WASH FM (doesn't that just sound like a soft-rock station?)! And I talked to wonderful Whitney today! And those two things always makes me happy.
_________________________________
November 12, 2009: It was FotoWeek in Washington, DC, which means several Photography Galleries had their opening all in the same week. Norabelle, Lydia and I went to three different free gallery openings and sipped wine, ate hours d'vours and discussed different elements of photography for three hours (like we knew what we were talking about). There were some pretty amazing pictures. My favorites were Paul Gallegos and Raimundo Rubio. Raimundo Rubio was especially fascinating--he took trash and coated it with salt and took pictures in order to signify the waste of American and the need of other worlds and how if they collide they could create beauty. Or something along those lines. Paul Gallegos just took incredibly beautiful pictures in the moment. He was there and we talked about how he always carries his camera so he can capture different moments of beauty. He took wonderful landscape pictures...the kind where you can stare at them for hours and get lost because it feels like you are there. I would like to take pictures like that...
November 13, 2009: I think I've mentioned that I love rain in November. It rained on Friday, and I put on my corduroys and green sweater and boots, went out and got my HIDA scan and rode the bus back to Fort Totten to watch the rain for the rest of the day. On the way back I had the most delightful bus driver and I enjoyed the back-and-forth chatter between the different riders and the driver. Additionally I saw this beautiful bright yellow tree, which was brilliant in the grey weather. It is the tree that is in this picture, out the front window.
November 14, 2009: The National Low Income Housing Coalition had their bi-annual board meeting on Saturday and Sunday, which lead into the State Partners meeting on Monday and Tuesday. I went for part of the meeting on Saturday to listen to brilliant people from all over the country talk about low income housing in their different areas and how we will achieve the national goal of housing for all. It was really cool.

November 15, 2009: My Sunday School kids sang during the church service on Sunday morning. They did a really good job. Aren't they so cute?

November 16, 2009: As I stated before, the State Partner's meeting was on Monday and Tuesday. The National Low Income Housing Coalition gets its name because it is a Coalition of all the different state organizations that work together to get low income housing. Many of them met on Monday to talk about different ways they were meeting needs in their states and to listen to the policy actions we're taking in Washington, DC. It was really amazing to hear, and there were definitely several times while I was listening that I felt like I belonged in the low-income housing circle.
November 17, 2009: We went to HUD to meet with Shaun Donovan (READ: The Secretary of HUD). He was pretty cool, but had to rush off to a meeting with Eric Holder (Attorney General) and Timothy Geithner (Secretary of the Treasury). Sometimes I sit back and say to myself "Where am I?!". Also in this picture are (left to right) Sheila Crowly in the pink scarf (the President of NLIHC, who hugged Shaun Donovan when he came in), George Moses (he's the head of the NLIHC Board), Sandra Henriquez (Assistant Secretary for Public and Indian Housing), Shaun Donovan (of course), and Mercedes Marquez (Assistant Secretary for Community Planning and Development). Crazy!
November 18, 2009: I went home to get a surgical consult on Wednesday and decided that I will be having my gall bladder out on Monday (at 6:45 AM!). I also got my hair cut and went to see Julie and Julia with my mom and dad at the $3 theater in Graham. However, this picture of little Teddy made it in to the picture of the day because he's just so darn cute! Since Luke wasn't home with me, Teddy kept me company while I slept.

November 19, 2009: I spent the morning in Chapel Hill at Caribou with two of my beautiful sisters. Katie will not be thrilled that this was my picture of the day, but I think she's adorable. I also had lunch with Anthony before heading home and it was wonderful. I love getting together with people and picking up right where you left off and talking like you haven't missed a day.
November 20, 2009: I thought that I was going to go to work on Friday, but I was too sick. For the past two months the only things that I can count on to not hurt my stomach have been boiled potatoes, rice and avocado. So here is a picture of my rice and avocado. Have I mentioned that this should all be over in about 33 hours...

November 21, 2009: Packing to go to Mebane tomorrow! I also took a 4 hour nap today...so the picture of the bed is also significant.
November 13, 2009: I think I've mentioned that I love rain in November. It rained on Friday, and I put on my corduroys and green sweater and boots, went out and got my HIDA scan and rode the bus back to Fort Totten to watch the rain for the rest of the day. On the way back I had the most delightful bus driver and I enjoyed the back-and-forth chatter between the different riders and the driver. Additionally I saw this beautiful bright yellow tree, which was brilliant in the grey weather. It is the tree that is in this picture, out the front window.
November 15, 2009: My Sunday School kids sang during the church service on Sunday morning. They did a really good job. Aren't they so cute?
November 16, 2009: As I stated before, the State Partner's meeting was on Monday and Tuesday. The National Low Income Housing Coalition gets its name because it is a Coalition of all the different state organizations that work together to get low income housing. Many of them met on Monday to talk about different ways they were meeting needs in their states and to listen to the policy actions we're taking in Washington, DC. It was really amazing to hear, and there were definitely several times while I was listening that I felt like I belonged in the low-income housing circle.
November 19, 2009: I spent the morning in Chapel Hill at Caribou with two of my beautiful sisters. Katie will not be thrilled that this was my picture of the day, but I think she's adorable. I also had lunch with Anthony before heading home and it was wonderful. I love getting together with people and picking up right where you left off and talking like you haven't missed a day.
November 21, 2009: Packing to go to Mebane tomorrow! I also took a 4 hour nap today...so the picture of the bed is also significant.
_____________________________
That's about it for me for now. I probably won't be around much until after Thanksgiving. So Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Enjoy everything that you have to be thankful for!
1 comment:
good luck with your surgery! i hope your recovery is fast, pain-free, and without complications!
Post a Comment